Wednesday, March 28, 2012

[PHI 3000] One's modus ponens is another's modus tollens

The skeptic argues as follows:
  1. If I don't know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I don't know that I have hands.
  2. I don't know that I am not a brain in a vat.
  3. Therefore, I don't know that I have hands.
G. E. Moore responds to this skeptical argument as follows:
  1. If I don't know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I don't know that I have hands.
  2. I know that I have hands.
  3. Therefore, I know that I am not a brain in a vat.
Both arguments are valid. Which do you find more convincing?


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an academic blog about critical thinking, logic, and philosophy. So please refrain from making insulting, disparaging, and otherwise inappropriate comments. Also, if I publish your comment, that does not mean I agree with it. Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog.