In the ad, deliberately ridiculous explanations, such as those in the picture above, were given for why people drink Jameson. For example:
- People drink Jameson because the ads give tourists a place to look, so the guy in the map seat can get a break.
- People drink Jameson because there are nine wrong ways to swipe your card, but no wrong way to enjoy a Jameson.
- People drink Jameson because they like to share; not like that guy taking up two seats.
- People drink Jameson because Jameson would go really well with that song playing in your headphones.
- People drink Jameson because “Next round on me” is easier to understand than “stanclearclosindoor.”
These ads can be construed as an inference to the best explanation as follows:
- People drink Jameson.
- The best explanation for (1) is that Jameson tastes good.
- No other explanation explains (1) as well as good taste does.
- Therefore, (probably) Jameson tastes good.