Saturday, January 5, 2013

[PHI 2200] An unjust law is no law at all

In Letter from a Birmingham Jail, Martin Luther King, Jr. writes:
I would be the first to advocate obeying just laws. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that "an unjust law is no law at all."
Suppose that St. Augustine is right that "an unjust law is no law at all," does it follow that one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws, as Martin Luther King argues, or that one does not have a moral responsibility to obey unjust laws?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an academic blog about critical thinking, logic, and philosophy. So please refrain from making insulting, disparaging, and otherwise inappropriate comments. Also, if I publish your comment, that does not mean I agree with it. Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog.